• Smoking is the main cause.
• Allergy like – such as air pollutant.
• Infection – viral or bacterial.
• Occupation – coal miners, grain handlers, metal molders and people working with dust.
• Pre existing disease as pneumonia, emphysema etc.
SIGN AND SYMPTOMS:
• Cold with nasal discharge.
• Cough with yellow greenish sputum.
• Chest pains.
• Fever with headaches and loss of appetite.
• These entire symptoms can increase in severe condition.
• Avoid dairy products like milk, butter, cheese because these will increase mucus secretion in the respiratory system.
• Avoid hot spicy and highly seasoned food.
• Avoid cold food, cold drinks, ice, ice-creams and aerated drinks.
• Drink luke warm water.
• Boil a mixture of Bishops weed (Ajwain), tea leaves and water and inhale the steam, helps to decongest. Do this at least 2-3 times a day.
• Gargle with warm water, a pinch of salt and turmeric to sooth your throat.
• Have only fruits for 4-5 days later can have raw salads, vegetables and sweet fruits for next 5-6 days.
• Have hot vegetable soups.
• Have bland and boiled food.
• Include turmeric, garlic, ginger and onions in your diet but avoid if you are on homeopathic medication.
• Consume lots of vitamin C: foods of animal origin are poor in vitamin C.
– Fresh citrus fruits, green vegetables.
• Increase consumption of vitamin B:
– Milk and milk products, eggs, shrimps, crabs and lobsters.
– Lean meat especially pork, fish, dairy products, poultry, egg yolk, Liver, kidney, pancreas, yeast (Brewer's yeast).
– Carrots, bananas, avocado, raspberries, artichoke, cauliflower, soy flour, barley, cereals pasta, whole grains, barn like unpolished rice and wheat germ, dried beans, peas and soybeans.
– Green leafy vegetables, legumes, nuts, whole grain.
• Consume lots of vitamin A; it maintains the integrity of the respiratory mucosa: Liver oils of fish like cod, shark, and halibut are richest source of vitamin A.
– Animal sources: egg, milk and milk products, meat, fish, kidney and liver.
– Yellow orange colored fruits and vegetables, dark green leafy vegetables.
• Have ginger powder or fresh ginger juice in honey before retiring to bed.
• Every morning, drink boiled mixture of – ½ cup water, little ginger, 2-3 leaves of sweet basil (tulsi) and mint leaves, or you can eat the raw leaves, this will boost up you immunity.
• Avoid smoking.
• Take rest at home and keep your self warm.
• Change occupation if possible in case of miners, etc. or take precautions to prevent the particles being inhaled.
• Practice yoga, will help by breathing exercise.
• Treat the cause. Dr Mrs Neeraj Gupta GCHC DELHI 9811022908